- / Blog
- / How to minimise hazards in the home
How to minimise hazards in the home
There a number of prevalent yet often overlooked hazards in the home that can have the potential to cause some serious safety issues for your family. It’s important to be aware of these hazards to prevent accidents or injuries from occurring.
Below are 5 hazards to be aware of around the home, along with some of the top ways you can minimise them.
- Ensure there are fire or smoke alarms installed in your home and check the batteries regularly.
- Never leave candles or oil burners unattended.
- Unplug appliances after use and ensure electronic charging devices are not left plugged in when no one is home.
- Keep all poisonous materials (like heavy cleaning products, insect killer, etc) in a safe place, preferably high up and out of reach of young children.
- Never empty poisonous materials into unlabelled containers as they can easily be mistaken for other things.
- Ensure all medication is secured and out of easy reach from children.
- If you have a pool, make sure you have a regulation fence which is kept closed at all times.
- Empty small leisure pools immediately after use and monitor young children in and around water, especially in the bath. Remember, children can drown in less than 6cm of water.
Slips & Falls
- Keep steps and pathways leading to the house and interior staircases clear from debris and clutter to avoid tripping and falling down the stairs.
- In wet areas such as the bathroom, ensure there are non-stick bathmats on the floor, and even on the bottom of the tub.
- Ensure wet areas, such as bathrooms, are properly ventilated, and regularly open the windows in bedrooms to encourage natural air circulation throughout your home.
- Immediately remove any mould you notice it around the house, calling a specialist where necessary.
With an increased awareness of potential household hazards like these, you may be able to prevent certain things from going wrong, however, it’s impossible to predict everything. Home and Contents insurance gives you financial protection for your home and possessions should an unexpected event occur.
Keep your home and contents safe!