- / Blog
- / Record Rainfall Sparks Flooding Fears – Be Prepared
Record Rainfall Sparks Flooding Fears – Be Prepared
One of the hottest November months in history is about to come to an abrupt end with the Bureau of Meteorology warning of flash flooding across Victoria. Preparations are underway for some of the most significant rainfall experienced in more than 20 years.
To help you prepare, our team have put together these 10 handy tips to help protect and minimise the risk of damage to your property when severe weather strikes:
- Wherever possible move valuable items to higher ground.
- Place furniture on beds and then personal items on the furniture. Electrical equipment should be placed on top.
- Remove wooden drawers from built-in wardrobes, cabinets and furniture. Wood has a tendency to swell when wet, causing pressure between the drawers.
- Protect valuable machinery and equipment by enclosing them in waterproof covers. Certain machinery may benefit from a coating of grease (please check with the manufacturer prior to applying any substance). Another alternative is to consider is encircling equipment with a wall of sandbags.
- If you live in the country you may have to relocate livestock, machinery, pumps and irrigation equipment to higher ground. Prepare by knowing the flood heights that affect your property and being aware of where the higher ground can be found.
- Ensure all electrical equipment including computers is switched off at the power outlet and unplugged – reducing the risk of a power surge.
- Ensure all your computer and mobile phone data is backed up.
- Boating, driving and walking in flood areas should be avoided unless absolutely necessary.
- During low-level flooding, you can use sandbags to redirect water away from your property.
- It pays to have a basic kit emergency handy at all times. Your kit should comprise of :
- First-aid supplies
- A battery operated portable radio
- Spare batteries
- Rubber boots
While prevention measures are the best way to stop things from going awry this weekend, it’s impossible to predict everything.
With 24-hour support at hand, we offer peace of mind should something go wrong. So if you need assistance or expert advice, contact your local Adroit branch.